Dallas Dhu distillery
Location MORAY( Latin Moravia ) near ELGIN…
The Dallas Dhu distillery was a producer of single malt Scotch whisky that operated between 1899 and 1983. Dallas Dhu means “Black Water Valley” in Gaelic. Its whisky also appeared as a “Dallas Mhor” single malt. In 1899, Alexander Edward designed the Dallas Dhu distillery at the height of the whisky boom. Wikipedia
Alexander Edward (1898)
Wright & Greig Ltd. (1899–1918)
J. P. O’Brian & Co. (1919–1920)
Benmore Distilleries Ltd. (1921–1928)
Distillers Company (1929–1983)
Historic Scotland (1992–present)
Water source – Altyre Burn
Originally named “Dallasmore”, the Dallas Dhu.
Starting in 1909, David Lloyd George introduced restrictions on distilling in the United Kingdom; these included increased taxes and the requirement that all whisky sold had been aged for at least three years
In 1919, the distillery was sold to J. P. O’Brian & Co., and then again to Benmore Distilleries Ltd. in 1921 (around which time, the Dallas Dhu malt whisky was used in the Benmore blended whisky.)
Economic pressure and an unreliable water supply forced Dallas Dhu to close in 1983, and its distilling licence was withdrawn in 1992. The last barrel was filled on 16 March 1983, although the buildings were re-opened to the public in 1988 under Scotland’s Historic Buildings and Monument Directorate.
Tomatin distillery is a single malt Scotch whisky distillery in the village of Tomatin. Its whisky is classified as being from the Highland region, as it is 25 minutes south of Inverness.
Although it is thought that whisky has been distilled on the site since the 16th century, when cattle drivers would buy from a local still,the distillery was not established until 1897, under the name of Tomatin Spey Distillery Co Ltd.The company went bankrupt in 1906, and reopened under new ownership in 1909.
A dnes trochu k dorozumívání Tří sester a dalších zúčastněných, např.ROA.Nebo AOR.
O.R. Operace Benjamin..
Proč 5 North Coast?
Proč tomu vévodí T. M.?
Proč je jméno zdrojů vody:
Loch nam Bonnach
Loch nan Eun form the White Burn (jméno potoka napájeného ze Dvou Loch/ Lake) ?
Proč je palírna na Black Isle ?
Jak je palírna německy?
A proč v kraji Ross shire?
Název vsi nyní :
Muir of Ord (Scottish Gaelic: Am Blàr Dubh)
Named Tarradale ( Tar,Tree, Three, Tur… atd.) until 1862, historically access to the village was limited by the natural obstacles of the River Beauly and the River Conon. This changed in 1814 with the construction of the Conon Bridge. Cattle drivers used the new routes to transport livestock and markets were set up in 1820 close to where the village now lies.
In the mid-13th century the MacKenzies of Ord were granted lands in the west of Scotland by King Alexander III. In 1820 Thomas MacKenzie of Ord inherited the estate embarked on rejuvenating the area. A large portion of MacKenzie’s land was devoted to the cultivation of barley, as such he decided to lease the land for a distillery to be built, this would also provide year round employment for local men.
At the time there were nine small licensed distilleries operating in the area to compete with, the majority of which were being run by ten-twelve of the tenant farmers. The whole of the barley crop was used in the distilleries as it was the fastest way of turning it into funds with which to pay the rent. Water from Loch nam Bonnach and Loch nan Eun flowed to two large water wheels from which the distillery derived its power. The water for the mashing was taken from a well known as the Cuckoo Well.
In its early days the distillery operated under the name of the Ord Distillery Company. It employed 18 people and was founded in 1838 by licence holders Robert Johnstone and Donald MacLennan, who both eventually went bankrupt in 1847. In spite of bankruptcy, the distillery continued to operate illegally for a few years before they received another licence under new owners, Alexander McLennan and Thomas McGregor, in 1855.
By the time of McLennan’s death in 1870, Glen Ord was sold throughout the British Colonies, including places as far as Singapore and South Africa. His widow married Alexander MacKenzie, a bank clerk from Beauly, who took over running the distillery in 1877. Upon taking over the enterprise, McKenzie constructed several new buildings which were burnt down soon afterwards. In 1880, he began marketing and selling some of Glen Ord under the name of Glen Oran.
In 1896, MacKenzie sold the distillery to James Watson & Son, whisky blenders of Dundee, who purchased the enterprise for £15,800. The company had previously acquired three other distilleries as they were primarily invested in selling blended high quality whiskies, particularly Watson’s No. 10.
With the onset of World War I in 1917 the distillery was closed, along with a number of other similar businesses, by the government in order to preserve barley for food supplies. The distillery reopened after the war in 1919. However, the Watsons sold the company only four years later to Thomas Dewars & Sons of Perth, who amalgamated with the Distillers Company. They in turn, sold the distillery again in 1930 to Scottish Malt Distillers, a subsidiary company of Distillers Company Ltd.
The distillery closed its doors for a second time in 1939 due to World War II. They did not open again until 1946. Three years later, the distillery installed electrical wiring for the first time into the building, giving up the use of paraffin lamps. In 1958 the distillery went through another major change when the Meal mill closed. In 1961 the distillery ceased the use of their floor maltings and began using new saladin boxes. Five years later they greatly expanded production by tripling the number of coal-fired stills from two to six, outfitting them with steam-heated coils. They continued improvements in 1968 by constructing large mechanical floor maltings next to the distillery that could meet the needs of not only their operation but seven other Scottish Malt Distillers. Glen Ord, however, continued to use their own saladin boxes until 1983.
In 1985 DCL, including its subsidiary Scottish Malt Distillers, merged with Guinness. The resultant grain and malt distilling enterprises were organised under the name of United Distillers Ltd. In 1997 Guinness and Grand Metropolitan merged to form Diageo, with head offices in London.
Scotch whisky (Scottish Gaelic: uisge-beatha na h-Alba; often simply called Scotch) is malt whisky or grain whisky made in Scotland.